5/29/08

Chaser swallowed a screw...

There ya see it. My "never in trouble" child finally got into a bit of trouble! Somehow in the WONDERFUL (read the sarcasm) packing of our friends Pedro and Pablo, some screws and thumbtacks were thrown loosely into a box that was never closed. Had they been anywhere close to me on Tuesday when this happened I probably would have pinned them to the wall with the screws, but they weren't and it really was a good thing. So anyway, back to my story.

Well, I had come into my room for a few minutes to try to get one more box of clothes unpacked, because the boys were playing nicely and quietly in the BABY PROOFED PLAYROOM. How silly of me to think this was a smart idea. But anyway, Chase comes walking into my room coughing and sort of scratching on his little chest, and I just got this bad mommy feeling, and I knew our day was going to go downhill fast. His left hand was closed so I pryed it open and there was a thumbtack in his hand, so I was sure he had swallowed a thumbtack. I was a calm wreck as I called Norman and asked him where the hospital was, then since of course he didn't know, I called my friend Alexa who lives nearby to ask her where I should go. Since noone really knew what to tell me, and I didn't have the time to sit on the computer and search, I just called 911. The ambulance guys were great and took us to Virginia Hospital Center, which is magnificient. They are very slow, but very clean and thorough, and all the staff and doctors were caring and sweet as could be. They got the X-ray, and told us to come back in 48 hours for a follow-up X-ray if he hadn't pooped it out by then.


So we went in today, and I did start freaking out when I saw the image of where the screw is. It looked like to me that it hadn't moved, but upon further inspection by two doctors, they saw that it is indeed moving and it's just taking its sweet time coming out. So bottom line - it may take a week to come out!!!

The hysterical thing in all of this, is that we are flying to Oklahoma in a few days, and the hospital gave us a document and a copy of the X-ray showing that Chaser has metal in his intestines. That way when he sets off all the alarms while we're going thru security, we can prove that he really just has a screw loose!!! How funny is that?! Well, I have to find some humor in all of this or I think I'd pull my hair out. Thank GOD Norman is leaving to come home tomorrow!!! I can't take this single parenting for much longer!!

The happy thing that I am so excited to report, is that the doctors have urged us to not cancel our plans, so while we are in Oklahoma, Norman and I will be taking a trip somewhere - ANYWHERE out of the country, and all I know is that my requirements are sand and lots of food and plenty of water activities!! I know Nana and PaPa will be so happy to have some time with the kids, and Norman and I are thrilled to get a vacation away just the two of us.

Alrighty, that's all for tonight! I'm beat, and I've still got a vacation to get booked before I hit the sack!!! Thanks to all who have been praying for Chase...Keep the prayers coming, and I'll keep you posted on his pooping progress!!! :) Nighty Night Loves!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh thank god for this story. My son ate a screw last night- talk about scarry! I am glad to know that there are others out there. Makes me feel a bit better.

Anonymous said...

how long did it take to pass??? my 11 month son ate a screw 4 days ago and it still hasnt passed!

Stacey said...

It took about 2 weeks actually...it was SLLLLOOOOOWWWW moving! :) Be patient...it will pass. It sure is scary though! If you get concerned you can take him to the ER for an X-ray to make sure it hasn't torn any of his internal organs. But that is extremely rare, so I'd just wait for it to come out and as long as he's acting normal then he should be fine. Good luck!!!

Amanda said...

I'm really glad you posted this. I'm a 23 yr old Army Wife living @ Fort Bragg, NC. My 3 year old swallowed a 3/4 in. screw yesterday. We took her to womack (the on post hospital) and got x-rays. It is in her stomach, and we were told to wait. I'm still freaking out though thinking about that screw and her tiny small intestine. Can't wait til I see that little screw in the toilet!!! May God bless you and your family!!!