Search This Blog

Verify

10/22/08

Police evasion, kitchen fires...all in a day's work... :)

So I had planned on catching up on a couple of blogs I wanted to write, but after today, those other things ( Yarmelke's - sounds like Yammaka, and retired WW II and Vietnam vets) will just have to wait. Today has been such a crazy, crazy day! If I'd have known what was in store, I probably would have begged to stay curled up in bed, but alas that is not how the day played out.

We got up and took our time getting dressed and ready to go out for the day. We headed out for a doctors appointment (Eli had to get blood drawn to make sure meds are working properly in his system), and the lab was a new one I had never been to. I was happily surprised that the route took us right by the Washington Monument...and by that I mean RIGHT by it. As close as you can drive to it, because the boys love admiring it, and so do I. It's amazing. Well, my GPS tells me to turn right, so I'm turning right, and I (for some reason I do not know) happen to glance out the passenger window and low and behold there is a perfect view of the White House. Now, I should NOT have been surprised. We LIVE here for goodness sakes. Why that startled me, amazed me, stunned me...you get the drift I seriously do not know. But as a result I missed seeing all the cars stopping in front of me and lets just say I am thrilled that my brakes work so well. From there I finally make it to the office, and park in the ONLY parking garage I can find...which HAPPENS to cost $12 per hour to park. WHAT?! By that time I was so on edge I would have paid $20 just to be out of my car and my feet solidly on the ground. Luckily it only cost us $12 because we were in and out of there in about 25 minutes; Eli behaved like a champ! Course, I could look at it like holy moly $12 for a half an hour...but I'll choose to just be happy it didn't take long. From there...well, somehow we ended up in Georgetown which did give us a beautiful drive, but we eventually found our way to the library. And here is where the police evasion comes in...

So we are on our way to the library, and I go a bit too far. Needing to turn around, I start looking for a place to make a LEGAL U-turn. I see a place to turn, but there is a no-turn sign. Shortly after that one, there is another spot for a turn with NO sign. There is no notice anywhere saying that this was not a legal turn. Well, after I did the U-turn, I see a cop who is going the opposite direction (where I just came from) slam on his brakes. I then see him about to do the same U-turn I did, except that there was traffic and he got stuck. At that point I just head back to our apartment and hide like a scared little kid in the underground thing lol. Now, the STUPID part of all of this, is that I am still set on taking the boys to the library, so we head right back down the same road, and pull up at the library...RIGHT NEXT to the cop. Yep, the SAME cop. What are the odds right? Did he read my mind? Did he think...."hmmmm where is the most logical place a woman with two children in car go after they avoid a ticket?" Needless to say he gave me some "you should feel guilty" looks as I got out of the car, but he let me keep walking...and surprisingly enough, there was no ticket on my car when we got out of the library.

From there we went to the playground for an hour, and then we came home. Ahhhh home. Drama over for the day right?? Wrong. Luckily for me, Norman knew I was not a great chef when he married me, and he loves me in spite of my cooking "abilities". Unfortunately a simple "easy" meal of mac and cheese, green beans and buttered bread turned into a huge stove fire. Luckily for me I happened to be walking by the kitchen (where I left things on LOW so I could fold a load of clothes before getting everyone together to eat) and I saw the flames leaping off the stove. Nice. What a glorious ending to a glorious day. Oh - here is a picture of what started the fire...I left the spoon too close to the burner. Don't ever do that...I almost evacuated a 2 tower apartment community with thousands of people in it. I soooo would have been in so much trouble...

But no cars were wrecked, no tickets were given, and no buildings burned down...annnnnd I got to tuck this sweetie into bed earlier tonight...




So, all in all a successful day. I'm so excited to see what tomorrow brings... *wink* I can only pray it won't be as exciting as this one has been...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!!! :)