Search This Blog

Verify

7/31/18

I Think I Can, I Think I Can...

I think since my last post we have unpacked about ohhhhh...6 boxes maybe? No, I'm not kidding.  Am I frustrated that it's going to take awhile to get settled? Yep.  But I'm trying to just go with the flow, do what I can, and not worry about it. My sister (in-law, but I hate the whole in-law thing...so...sister) would laugh at me for saying we will never move again, but literally, I don't think I CAN move again.  I just started physical therapy for my back today, and that did NOT leave me feeling better at all.  We will see how this progresses, but I'm not too optimistic.  I have discs in my back that are literally worn down to nothing.  Only surgical replacement will help, so I'm a bit miffed they are putting me through PT as a prereq for surgery.  Jumping thru hoops is all it is.  One session down, 11 to go.  

This week we are finally...FINALLY going to start taking advantage of where we live.  Thursday I am starting the boys' school year with a visit to the U.S. Holocaust Museum to hear a survivor give his account of what it was like living through it.  What a monumental way to kick off their year!  Then Friday we have a tour we are doing as a family (it's a walking tour) about Alexander Hamilton's life, and they actually have on display the pistols used in the duel.  Eli's creative writing course at the academy that I enrolled him in doesn't start until September, and same goes for Chase's theatre program that I enrolled him in at the Metropolitan School of the Arts.  (Shout out to Sam (Jennie & Dave too!) for Chase seeing Sam and being willing and excited to get involved with this program!). He will be doing singing, acting, and jazz dancing, which, for those of you who know him, know he sings all the time, he is constantly making up dance moves, and he is so melodramatic.  This will be the perfect outlet for him.  Their classes are on Tuesdays, most of the co-op homeschooling tours are on Thursdays or Fridays, and that leaves time for additional museum exhibits and embassy events in addition to church group and...oh yeah...some actual school curriculum work 😊.  I am truly, truly looking forward to it!

I had to fly back to Dallas for a super quick trip last week to sign out of our apartment.  Even though we bought a house here in July, and we paid rent for the 60 days required for the apartment lease break, they would not let us do a walk thru or hand in keys before we left.  So that left me needing to make a quick run out there, but I'll tell you what...I needed that walk through for closure more than I realized.  I was able to feel like I truly could start my life here in DC now that I am not paying rent and holding on to keys for an apartment in Texas.  

I didn't tell anyone except my two closest girlfriends that I was coming back...well...3...but, I have learned a lot about people and human nature in general when it came to us leaving Frisco.  The phrase "Out of sight out of mind" is so accurate in this situation, and it just reemphasized what I already knew to be true.  1.  There are friends you make in life along the way that you connect with so deeply, it literally does not matter where you go, the bond does not waver.  And 2. There are people whom you become friends with that once you leave, that's it.  The worst part is when you think you have met someone who will be the friend mentioned in #1, but ends up being in category 2, and that is sad, and painful, but nevertheless...it is a learning experience and that is what life is about.  We did leave Frisco having made some precious friendships and real connections, and for that I am truly thankful.

The best part about my trip was getting to spend time with two women who are family to me...one of them has been in my life since elementary school, and we have literally grown up together...and the second has been a friend for going on 12 years, and I cannot imagine my life without either of these women and their families as a part of mine.  We went to Pete's Dueling Pianos for my birthday on Friday, and I'll post a couple of photos.  I will only post photos of one of my friends...the other wishes to remain off of social media.  I love you sweet friends!!! Thank you for being our cheering squad, our supporters, our shoulder to lean on, and never letting distance be an issue. I am so blessed by you!!! ♥️



So that's about all I have! In my next post I should have some really cool photos of the speaker series at the Holocaust museum, then of the Alexander Hamilton tour, and oh my goodness, be prepared for an overload of photos when we go to the Maryland Rennaissance Festival!!!  And eventually the house.  We will get settled at some point 😊. XOXO guys!!!

OH! And I almost forgot...I am going to start doing two weekly posts unrelated to my typical blog posts.  One will be a Featured Blogger post (My friend Nikki will be up first!) And the second will be sort of like what I did before where I posted the weirdest thing of the week.  I need to come up with a name/hashtag.  Usually I get these photos on the metro, but in this town, you never know.  The one thing I do know is that it's entertaining!  I will start doing giveaways again too...I miss the interaction I had on my blog before!! Keep an eye out for the first giveaway.  Rules will be simple...really, all that's needed is a comment or a share on FB.  Pretty simple!  Follow my blog guys!! I will be posting about events you may want to make the trip out for...like taking a White House Tour after it's decorated for Christmas!!! That will be neat!  Sign-ups for that begin in September, in case you are interested! Embassy events, balls, etc...if you want to go, just holler! I'll be posting about my first giveaway soon.

So that's what I have coming up!  I hope you guys have a wonderful week!  Hugs!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!!! :)