Search This Blog

Verify

8/21/18

Thankful for this Move

Moving is always difficult, no matter if you move to a different subdivision or if you move to the other side of the world.  In our case, we moved 1,325 miles from our home in Texas, to our new home in Washington D.C. (Alexandria, VA).

We did a lot of downsizing, but we are still needing additional storage, so we are having a second closet built in the master bedroom, we ordered a new entertainment center that has lots of storage for the living room, and we bought a smaller entertainment center with sliding barn doors (yay) that I am using instead of a dresser.

We still haven't unpacked, as we are waiting for these things to arrive and be installed so we are still living among the boxes...buuuuuttt...we are getting our feet wet and getting out and about.

We had the best weekend! We started Saturday off with a trip to an International Food Festival, but after eating some Chinese and Greek food, followed by the obligatory snow cone (see photos below), we headed over to the National Postal Museum for a living History performance of Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr.  It was so neat.  And the postal museum was amazing.  As Eli would say...Fun Fact...Did you know the Pony Express ran for less than 2 years!??!  Seeing how quickly the mail system developed was amazing.  I never would have thought that a postal museum could be amazing, but this one absolutely is.  We got to see the pistols used in the duel between Hamilton and Burr, a preserved dog from the 1800's that was pretty much the equivalent to the postal system's mascot, walk through a mail train car and learned about the first mail route.  If you ever come to D.C., put the National Postal Museum on your list of "Must See Museums"!

I got confirmation of start dates for both the boys programs, and Chase's program at the performing arts academy has an open house Friday night.  I know they are both super excited to get plugged in and get involved in things with other kiddos.

I am almost done with my physical therapy, meaning it didn't work, and we are moving on to the next course of action.  I wish I could say it was this miraculous thing and praise the Lord I'm healed, but...nope.  if anything, it made my pain worse, so after Thursday, I'm calling it done and I'll meet with the surgeon and see what's next.  I will say that A. I did have the coolest PT guy ever, and B. I have a medical professional who could testify that under no circumstances could I pass a field sobriety test 😂.  I nearly came crashing down off the table today while trying to do an exercise that required just a small amount of balance, and that scared everyone in the room.  Over these past 6 sessions it's been apparent that my balance isn't stellar, but after today, he put me on a mat on the floor.  Lol! And this has nothing to do with my injury...it has to do with my parents passing down some defective balance genes or something.  Haha.  Sorry Mom and Dad, but it's your fault. 😂

Beyond that we are feeling more and more like this is home.  It's truly amazing to be able to wake up in my own bed, and anytime we want we can just hop on the metro and soak in all the culture that this beautiful city has to offer.   I'm so thankful that when this opportunity arose, we took this leap of faith.  We may have not been here that long, but we are so, so happy to be here - boxes and all!

Have a great rest of your week, and enjoy the pics!!

Food Festival Photos



FYI - I do NOT know this lady...I just had to take a picture because her snow cone was as big as her head!!! Apparently not everything is bigger in TX!!




Postal Museum Photos













And then there's this...picture of a monk, wearing shades, on a scooter thingy.  This photo is courtesy of Norman...he snapped it on his commute home from work one day.   I may not have started my strange photos in D.C., yet, but this is a pretty good intro photo.  Thanks Norman!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!!! :)