Search This Blog

Verify

9/12/18

Remembering 9/11 and Pentagon Memorial

9-11 is THE date that we all know...we all understand, and for a moment, whether brief or all consuming, the thoughts and memories are there.  I always reflect back on the moment that I realized what I was seeing on the t.v. After realizing it wasn't a movie being played on every channel on television, I was hit with the deep realization that the way things were for the 22 year old girl who had gone to sleep the night before with no fears...only adventure and naive feelings of security, had suddenly changed and life would never be the same, not just for me, but for the world.  I had this moment of realizing that Norman would be deployed...and soon.  That terrified me.  But it was 9-11 that solidified for both Norman and me, that we had found the other piece of ourselves and we weren't letting go.  Everyone has a proposal story...a romantic gesture...some grand event.  What we had was the realization that we didn't need any of that, we needed to plan a wedding.  There were no questions to be asked.  I think for most of America, people each had their own moments and revelations about what was important to them. We hugged people tighter, prayed just a little bit longer, and made choices that would impact the rest of our lives.

Norman did get deployed to Afghanistan.  He found out the night before our wedding shower, and he left for Kandahar on Feb 12, 2002.



In 2008 Norman got to be a part of the 9/11 Pentagon Memorial unveiling.  It was an honor for him to get to help, and I was fortunate to be able to go as well.  Being there was such an incredible experience.  I was so proud of him and all of his accomplishments, I was uplifted by the inspiring words spoken that day, but I was incredibly saddened to see the pictures and hear the stories of those who lost their lives.  If you ever get a chance to go, do not pass it up.
For more information about the memorial unveiling, please click HERE.
This first photo is not mine...it is an official one, but the rest are mine.













I decided to write this post on September 12th for a reason.  So many people have, over time, left the remembering of 9/11 ONLY on 9/11.  We need to rember the sacrifices that were made, the lives lost on that day, every single day.  We cannot take anything...any freedom, any privilege of living in this great country for granted.  It saddens me that we are forgetting.  It is disturbing to me when I visit the memorials and hear people being disrespectful.  We must always honor our fallen and remember them with the respect they so deserve.  

We have a trip planned for NYC next month, and we are looking forward to visiting the memorial and One World Observatory again.  The museum is amazing, and such an important place to visit, and One World Observatory is amazing as well.  Make it a point to visit, to remember, and to be thankful.  It's more than worth it...and the fallen deserve it. 

Remember that you are blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!!! :)