Search This Blog

Verify

1/2/19

Welcome 2019!

LONG POST WARNING 😃 
So it's 5am, and although I need to be sleeping, my brain won't shut down.  I have been thinking so much lately about all of our moves...thoughts about moving started with me once I realized that I had found the other part of me in Norman.  I remember asking him early on how long he would be in Lawton, and I think he only had a year or so left. I might be wrong on the timeframe, but it was at that moment that I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would follow him anywhere.  I told him he wasn't leaving without me, and from that point on, moving (PCS'ing), never knowing where your orders would send you to, knowing that even when orders were in hand, they could literally change days before moving, and my favorite...the time our orders changed after we bought a home near one base, but they transferred him to Lackland...quite a drive away. Well, we got used to that.  

Our lives and living arrangements are the norm for what...I think 2% of the population.  To my military sisters out there...you get it. And civilians don't. We want them to know and understand, but they don't.  I've been told I was ruining my children by living some of the places we have lived...I have been told they will be emotionally stunted...and the list goes on. But what I know in my heart is that they have learned to adapt beautifully.  I've recognized their ability to walk up to strangers and strike up intelligent conversations, shocking the adults around them by their mature word choice. I know I have raised overcomers. Achievers. Not frightened by the world around them, but eager to explore it.  I'm not saying it's easy.  One assignment I hated so badly I cried every single day. No, it wasn't always easy.  But we made it through.  


As I lay in bed with my dogs curled around me, and my beautiful other half sleeping beside me, I realize how blessed we are.  How grateful I am to this man who for 17 years has picked up my slack even still enduring his own burdens. We have had so many highs:Eli's progress, vacations that we have cherished as a family, nights curled up watching Netflix, seeing the difference homeschooling has made and the co-op he attends. That beaming smile when he exclaimed he likes writing now, and for Chase, his eagerness to learn has challenged him, and boy he is flying.  He completed the entire 5th grade curriculum...180 lessons worth, before Christmas break, and now he's moved on to 6th in math. Eli has done the same by finishing history and moving up a grade there as well.


I'm feeling nostalgic tonight (today), about the fact that we only have 2 more nights in this house. I'm incredibly grateful to move, and without Han and Sheena, Gabrielle, Travell, Selen, Megan, and I know I'm forgetting someone, forgive me...this process includes so many people, thank you. Thank you for all your hard work in getting everything lined up perfectly. God in his gracious mercy put the wonderful work of Generosity Global in front of us, and we look forward to working more with them in the future.  This house we are moving to...I want it to be our forever home.  I want and pray and need for this home to be "it".  Virginia is our home. And this new house I want it to be the place my grandbabies come visit.  Sheena and Han, you are such a gift.  We are forever grateful for your generosity.  And as Rich (who is a new extraordinary encouraging influence in our lives) would say, "All is well". Because it is.


You will be hearing me talk about a Cpl. Valdez because he is working so hard to help vets transition to civilian life and help those who have already hit rock bottom.  I was blessed and honored when Daniel (Cpl. Valdez) asked me to to be his publicist. This year is going to be calmer than 2018. Meaning..we won't live in 4 different places and have to start all over). 2019 is a time for more "doing for others".  More giving, more involvement, more education and helping Cpl. Valdez in his efforts to improve the lives of our military heroes.


We have gone through so much this past year.  I'd like to right some wrongs, spend more time with friends, strengthen family bonds and just spend more time with those we love.  


I've saved for last gratitude for three women who not only encourage me, but they are truly fearless in their faith in God and their commitment to their friends.  Misty, you have been in my life so long I can't even remember.  I was 6 or 7 maybe? No matter where we have gone, you have been supportive.  And Reina, words fail me. Your quiet faith and steadfast relationship with God has picked me up when I have fallen. Misty, that applies to you also. I will say that through all our travels we gain friends, but some stay surface friends and others are in my life for a season, and then they silently slip away and become sweet memories of the different places we have lived.  And then there's Aubrey...I connected with you immediately, and that never happens with me.  We share so many of the same traits it's scary.  Our relationship, I believe, is strong.  And I need you in my life. The understanding that I'm introverted and the grace and the way you have given me space...I love you for it.  You opened your arms to us...you opened your home to us, and for people - just like me - who build walls around my family to protect our hearts, you wiggled your way in, and no matter the years that go by, I don't want us to change...our friendship to change.  You and Dave...our memory making is not done.  You three are the epitome of this verse


Ecclesiastes 4:12

A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.

You are my three.  Norman is the other part of my soul he keeps me still and centered and loves me more than I can even comprehend. But you three sweet friends are for life, no matter the distance between us.


So I realize this was long, but this is my thank you to my 3 "strands", my gratefulness for my husband who without him I would be lost, I need him like I need air.  And the four of you together are all I need in my life.  The more I've moved I realized that I would lose touch with most of the friends I made.  That's the nature of military life.  But you three are for keeps.  Don't ever forget it. I love you all...here's to a beautiful 2019!  In two days we will be out of here, and then we can start moving forward with all of the beautiful opportunities that await us.






To all of my friends and family...Happy 2019!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!!! :)