Search This Blog

Verify

3/17/20

Coronapocalypse 2020

Well, time to write from our self-imposed quarantine here in Virginia. Jeez...I am actually at a loss for words, but I do want to document this incredible time, so here goes. 

I want to lead off by saying that Norman and I are still recovering from surgery.  He's having a harder time healing than he expected, but if there was ever a perfect time to be on medical leave and work restriction, this is it.  Glory hallelujah for that.  He had 2 weeks off, and just started his four weeks of telework yesterday.  We are staying homebound and self isolating (my inner introvert self is 1000% on board with that!), and we are doing well.  (I really hope no colleagues of N's know about this blog) because I have to say that I thoroughly love Norman setting up his little "office in bed".  I can curl up around him and just let him work, and I am so happy and content to have all 4 of us under this roof during this Coronavirus situation especially. 

So...a bit from my perspective.  Amazing.  If you can look past the fear and frenzy and see some of the beauty unfolding everywhere, it's incredible.  From the videos of Italians singing from their balconies (which made me absolutely weepy and so full of pride in humanity), to seeing communities here extending love for the elderly...it's something else.  There are elderly only shopping times...groups who specifically are seeking out ways to help the at-risk groups, children who are at risk for starving due to school closures, and hotlines and help for domestic abuse victims who are now forced into solitude with their abusers.  I cannot imagine how horrific that would be. Norman is my place for comfort...I cannot imagine NOT having that kind of security in my life.  God has protected me and blessed me immeasurably. 

The Las Vegas strip is dark and still, Disney has closed, New York...the city that never sleeps...is quiet and still.  The eerie photos are quite amazing.  America is so resilient, and I know that someday this will be a memory...like 9/11.  This will leave a lasting, indelible imprint on all of our memories, and to be living during a time where every person in the world is coming together in solidarity to face this invisible illness is nothing short of magnificent. 

The pain and loss is truly heartwrenching. As a family who has had friends directly touched by this virus, we know that there is no joking about the seriousness of this.  But we all have to keep giving of ourselves, even if the best thing we have to offer right now is our absence.  Hope, prayers, love, Venmo, PayPal, food deliveries, voided wedding invitations, cancelled appointments, and prayers for health...staying away and staying alive is the responsibility we all have...to ourselves and especially to our family.  Be safe friends; we send all of our prayers and love to you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!!! :)