Search This Blog

Verify

6/1/22

A Week of Gratitude

We have been so fortunate the past week or so for all the rain we have received, during what is usually a dry time of the year. Norman took off today, and we have been enjoying the rain and thunder. It is so calming to me. It is perfect napping/reading weather.

Monday was Memorial Day. My family went out and placed flowers on our families graves on Sunday after church to avoid dealing with the rain and storms on Monday. It still seems so surreal that my dad is gone. I still struggle with church...it is my biggest trigger, because so often my dad led singing, and some songs we sing I hear him so clearly and it steals my breath. Norman and I have purchased our burial plots to the right of my dad, so it is comforting that when the time comes, I will have my dad on one side of me and Norman on the other. My brother and his wife have theirs right by us as well, so I find so much comfort in knowing that our physical bodies will be near to each other and our spiritual bodies will be together in Heaven. Sometimes in the midst of my grief...on the really hard days, this is the only thing that comforts me and brings me peace. 



I can't talk about Memorial Day and not talk about our friend Sara. In her early twenties, her husband Nick was deployed to Iraq. He was given a few days of leave to be there for the birth and meet his namesake...little Nicholas. He had to return to Iraq about 3 days after baby Nick's birth, but within just a couple of days of his return, Nick's convoy was hit by an IED at a checkpoint and was killed...leaving Sara a widowed brand new mother. Nick is a true hero, and we should remember him and say his name. Sara is a dear friend, and we will forever be indebted to her for giving the ultimate sacrifice. She is so strong, and I am in constant awe of her strength. 


At some point when the rain stops this week we have got to go car shopping. Eli needs his license and a car before we have to go back to DC, and with Chase being 15 and a half, we just decided to go ahead and get him a car too. That kid is ready to fly the coop as soon as possible, so even though Eli hasn't really cared one way or the other, Chase most definitely cares. I cannot believe my kids are this old. How is Eli a Senior in HS already? I still remember so vividly being on bedrest with him, and these past 18 years have flown!

Our surgeries are scheduled for the end of July, and I am so ready for it. I am so hopeful that my quality of life will be better afterward, so July can't get here fast enough. 

This weekend we will be doing a cleaning overhaul of the living room and kitchen, and we will get the pool house in order. We told the kids that once we give them the green light then we don't care who they invite or when, as long as they keep things clean. We bought this house specifically for the kids to have a hangout spot where they can have friends over to swim and hang out as much as they want, and also so we can (secretly spy on them...haha) make sure they are staying safe lol. One neighbor is old and deaf and the other has a pool too, so we are fortunate to live where we do. 

That's all for now. Hopefully with my next update, I will be able to post that we have been successful with our car shopping! Have a great summer guys!!

Stace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!!! :)